===============================================
    Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
    Tuesday, 5 March 2024
    Recorded by Hancy Harrison
    link to agenda for this meeting:    
    https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/wiki/Previous-agendas

Attendance:
    ===========
    Robert Anderson, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Bob Johnson, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Leroy Steinbacher, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, 

Business
    ========

Regrets:  Christina Rothwell, Eric Sirois 

OASIS web site discussion
    -------------------------
    - Kris; feedback on new OASIS web site?
    - Frank; checked yesterday and 3 out of 4 folks in my org. couldn't log in; they're probably flooded with questions.
    - Kris; probably, I wanted to know what folks found; none of my bookmarks worked.
    - Nancy; I was able to get in following the link in Scott McGrath's email.
    - Scott; one thing I noticed; had to put in email and then password, rather than old username.
    - Kris; how did you get in?
    - Scott; also used the link in his mail.
    - Kris; I didn't get his mail. I used old front page for OASIS
    [discussion of new website]

1.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting
            27 February 2024
                (Harrison, 27 February 2024)
    Kris moved, 2nd Scott, approved by TC

2. Announcements
            ConVex is scheduled for 8-10 April 2024 in Minneapolis. The call for speakers is closed.
            Adobe DITA world is scheduled for May 2023. If you are interested in speaking, send an e-mail to techcomm@adobe.com.
            Boston DITA Users Group March meeting is scheduled for March 13. Frank Wegmann will give an update on Lightweight DITA. The meeting link is on the BDUG home page.
    - Kris;  just fyi, Scott's job title has changed
    - Scott; going forward, I'll will be focused more on content models and user experience than on programming.

3. Report back from DITA Europe and DITA-OT Day
    - Kris; Eliot and Robert, any feedback
    - Eliot; it was fun to be there, talks were interesting, not completely overloaded by AI, and DITA-OT day was pretty well attended.
    - Robert; was good to see new people as well; I thought crowd size was pretty good, better than before, and no AI talks for DITA-OT day at all, more presenters than ever before
    - Kris; are slides from DITA-OT day up yet?
    - Frank; not yet
    - Eliot; they're on vacation there
    - Kris; when the videos appear, please add a link to them to our announcements on our wiki page.
    - Robert; for 2.0, got usual questions of when will it be available. Someone wanted a specific date, he has customers that want to know...  there are people out thre waiting for it, we should get it out.
    - Kris; I want to in the worst way. I've also seen posts on linkedin asking for it.
    - Nancy; people see the origin of DITA as their vendors, not a TC; they're not following our work, but asking their vendors.
    - Kris; good point, user environment has changed a lot in last 15 years.
    [discussion of DITA TC history]  

4. What do we want to say about "Rendering of <abbreviated-form> elements"?
            Current spec draft content can be seen here: https://dita-lang.org/dita-techcomm/archspec/technicalcontent/rendering-of-abbreviated-form-elements
    - Kris; I don't want to use normative language; we've used it and it provides guidance for processors, but it's not appropriate; how can we give guidance without using normative language?
    - Eliot; can we talk about it as 'design intent', and use a lower case 'should'?
    - Robert; OASIS will run a scan and say it's wrong.
    - Kris; no, their software no longer does that; it makes a distinction between upper and lower case normative language. in 1.3 they caught over 40 lower case words and complained.  So it seems as if the answer is to use the term 'design intent' and remove upper case normative statements. The other tricky thing is that we talk about 'introductory context', but we've never defined it. In 2.0, I added a note about that term. any thoughts
    - Eliot; if we use the term 'design intent', I'd want to say more about intro context and what it can be.  
    - Nancy; I'd think we should add some examples of intro context..
    - Kris; so let's think about what that content should be
    - Robert; in past, we've  said 'for PDF, first time in the pdf, for HTML it's the first time used on the HTML page.
    - Zoe; do we need to describe what's in a help map, it would typically be the first rendered instance in the help map
    - Kris; that gets pretty murky.
    - Zoe; if I'm an author and I don't know a lot about this, I rarely see any instance where you're making a single HTML page, I wouldn't want the abbrev form to show up every single page
    - Robert; we want to give a couple of examples, and then say your design may require other options.
    - Kris; what about guidelines or behavior
    - Eliot; I prefer suggested behavior.
    - Kris; I agree, so Eliot, are  mentioning the first time in PDF and HTML good enough, or should we be a bit more expansive?
    - Eliot; these rules depend on the existence of intro context, which in turn depends on first time apprepasance.
    - Kris; first time a term is used.
    - Scott; what about if we say 'first use'?
    - Eliot; same problem, what does that mean
    - Scott; but is intro context too complex? what about 'first use'?
    - Zoe, that could be in a title, and you wouldnt want it there.
    - Kris; that's why we use intro context instead of first use.
    - Zoe; do we use the same details for 'trademark'?
    - Kris; no, for the same reason.  Should we say typically a term is spelled out and defined on first usage?  Also, glossSurfaceform is typically rendered as a spelled-out term followed by acronym. That's the way it's typically rendered if it's glossentry, and it's abbreviated; and if you're in an intro context. glosssurfaceform is rendered if not empty; if it's empty, processors generally render content of glossterm, if non-intro content, then render abbrev, if no abbrev, render content of glossterm.
    - Eliot; I think that explanation is reasonable.
    - Kris; Dawn, any thoughts? is that the behavior your clients are expecting?
    - Dawn; yes, in fact we do first use of trademark by using gloss elements as well.
    - Kris; this has been a good discussion; I think I can rewrite the topic now, so we can get closer to next review. also, all the content in draft spec is brand new content, and I want to know if there are any other things we need to cover, e.g., what happens if you use the term element with a keyref that points to a glossentry topic?
    - Eliot; not sure about that...
    - Kris; early on, for 1.2, the expectation was that folks would use glossentry topics with a keyref from a term element, so people could get hover text for the term.
    - Dawn; many of my clients do use that to get hover text.
    - Eliot; how is that differrent from normal xref behavior?  A lot of HTML renderers use shortdesc as hover text for a link to a topic. can't think of a reason not to mention it.
    - Kris; I like your point that it's the same as an eref, so doesn't need to be called out separately.  So i don't think we need to talk about it separately.

5.  Review A, 2024: Glossentry and elements
            Opening of review (Eberlein, 23 January 2024)
            Status of review (Eberlein, 30 January 2024)
            For next week: Kris and Robert will finish the review

5.  Action items
            https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/wiki/Action-items
    [updates only; see link for complete list]
        16 January 2024
            Robert: Review and merge pull request from Christina (base repo)
    - Kris; Eliot, Robert looked and said there were no changes from your initial pull req.
    - Eliot; right
    - Kris; can you check? Robert thinks there's still outstanding work
            Robert: Review and merge pull request from Eliot (L&T specializations repo)
            Kris: Add agenda item about doing a QA on the L&T specializations repo.
            Kris: Update PDF of troubleshooting committee note
    - Kris; I'll make sure we have an updated version of the troubleshooting CN for next week.
       10 October 2023
            Kris: Send e-mail about close of the bookmap review
        03 October 2023
            Eliot: Identify titles for examples around cascading that we identified based on discussion of Denis Troaca's e-mail
    - Kris; Eliot, titles for cascading?
    - Eliot; I'll try to get that this week...

11:50 am close

------------------------------
    Nancy Harrison
    Principal, Infobridge Solutions
    Nancy Harrison (Personal)
    Portland OR
    978-505-9189
    ------------------------------