OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC

View Only

DITA TC Meeting Minutes 30 April 2024

• 1.  DITA TC Meeting Minutes 30 April 2024

Posted 12 days ago
      |   view attached

ActionItems:
    OASIS website issues:
    1.  Kris will check with Kelly on Eric's and Frank's issues with the system. (Eric can't get mail, Frank has more basic issues)
    2. Kris will look at Joe Russo's mail from Feb about not being able to get to the latest spec.
    3. Kris will replace links to latest spec versions from Github wiki
    2.0 Work
    1. Kris and Robert will meet this week to discuss status of reviews and plan going forward. (Stan, Leroy and Christina are willing to help

===============================================
    Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
    Tuesday, 30 April 2024
    Recorded by Hancy Harrison
    link to agenda for this meeting:    
    https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/wiki/Previous-agendas

Attendance:
    ===========
    Robert Anderson, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Bob Johnson, Eliot Kimber, Christina Rothwell, Leroy Steinbacher, Dawn Stevens

Business
    ========

Regrets: Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Frank Wegmann

1. Approve minutes from previous business meeting
            02 April 2024 https://groups.oasis-open.org/discussion/dita-tc-meeting-minutes-2-april-2024 (Harrison, 09 April 2024)
    Kris moved, 2nd Leroy, approved by TC

2. Announcements
            Adobe DITA world (https://2024-adobe-dita-world.meetus.adobeevents.com/) is scheduled for 11-13 June 2024. If you are interested in speaking, send an e-mail to techcomm@adobe.com.
    - Leroy; nothing new, speaker registration will close soon; I'll be doing a presentation on 2.0, would like to check with any other TC members who've done them to get feedback.

3. Report back from ConVEx
    - Bob; noticed more of an emphasis on how to communicate effectively with business partners, with folks who control the purse strings, good to see that over past few years.
    Leroy; the message I get every day as a solution consultant to people in marketing is; 'we don't want to hear DITA, no tags, don't talk about tech'.  The most important things are use cases and addressing pain points.
    - Stan; I enjoyed it, especially meeting new people, where are they in their journey, incl grad students, esp first timers and those ramping up on DITA.
    - Dawn; college students helped us a great deal, helped things run more smoothly.
    - Kris; I talked to the students, they were excited and happy to be there, exposed to new ideas.
    - Stan; were they tech comm st.udents?
    - Dawn; yes
    - Kris; the venue itself was stunning; the hotel had been a train station, now it's a hotel and long term residence inn. All of our rooms had natural light, a first for me, food was fabulous. great to catch up with people, first in 5 years since 2019, compaing vendors to vendors from 10 yrs ago, very different group; e.g.,  Scriptorium, Dita Strategies, but not Adobe or Mekom.
    - Dawn; Mekom had a big presence at DITA Europe, so only one, I don't know about Adobe.  Many vendors are ComTech competitors, Joann didn't envourage them but I do, so that's a change in philosophy, There's plenty of work to go around.   I'm also more in contact with Jack from Lavacon, they'll likely be at our venue; we call it 'co-opetition.'
    - Kris; I appreciate that approach.
    - Bob; Just Systems and XMetal not there...
    - Dawn; XMetal hasn't been there for a decade, not since Tom Mags left. 
    - Bob; was RWS there?
    [yes]
    - Bob; what felt diff was fewer orgs interested but not already in DITA, not so many orgs looking for support with conversion or looking to learn, not as many orgs looking to get into DITA.
    - Dawn; probably true, it's a challenge, a few new folks, good feedback from tools vendors, vs services, got good leads. 
    - Bob; might have been a one-off, past years there have been more newbies.
    - Kris; TC members did a small 2.0 panel; well attended, and seemed to go well
    - Stan; I encouraged hecklers to show up for energy, but they didn't heckle...
    - Robert; need to find better hecklers
    - Bob; we have better hecklers in philly....:-)
    - Kris; I did a session on what I'm doing at Mayo, supplying non-tech-writers with a very pared down implementation, it was an interesting talk to develop and to give.

4. Transition to new OASIS infrastructure: How is it going?
            Meeting invitations and the calendar
            Each TC member
                Add info to your profile, especially a photo or avatar
                Check settings, especially those that relate to privacy
    - Kris; any problems?
    - Eric; not getting any emails, don't know why; trying to change my profile but no luck.; may just send a support email to see what's going on.
    - Kris; it's an entirely new login system, so the old login you used will no longer work.  so you can log in, just not getting any email. I'll take an AI to see if we can fix it.
    ***ActionItem: Kris will check with Kelly on Eric 's and Frank's issues with the system.
    - Kris; any other issues?
    - Zoe; not myself, but I saw mail about not being able to find the 2.0 current draft.
    - Leroy; I saw that too, but Kris replied, back in Sept or Aug
    - Zoe; feel like it's more recent
    - Eric; yeah Feb 26th.
    ***ActionItem: Kris will look at Joe Russo's mail from Feb
    - Kris; will someone look for the latest draft of 2.0 spec, from the new wiki?
    - Zoe;  I don't get the current one.
    ***ActionItem:; Kris will replace links to latest spec versions from github wiki
    - -Bob; OTOH, link to techcontent spec does go to page that has link that says 14 but links to 18. 
    - -Kris; right, there's a link to 'this version' and 'latest version' . in this case they're the same; thats the traditional OASIS behavior, not intuitive but can't be helped.

5. What does it mean -- in plain language -- to call DITA a standard?
            Eberlein, 29 April 2024 https://groups.oasis-open.org/discussion/what-does-it-mean-in-plain-language-to-call-dita-a-standard#bmeb4875bd-01d4-4d86-a712-9fe5cd1b70d8
                Doherty, 30 April 2024 https://groups.oasis-open.org/discussion/what-does-it-mean-in-plain-language-to-call-dita-a-standard#bm5615a8a2-e9bf-41d1-908e-ad6b13be167d
    - Kris; the question floored me, it came from a colleague at Mayo, see Stan's answer (link above).
    - Stan; we use the term 'standard' loosely, but because other things, like Github, are not reviewed, it's not an 'industry standard'.
    - Bob; looked on OASIS's website for a definition of a standard; they didn't have any.
    - Kris; OASIS used to have very good info on what standards are and why they're valuable; that material has vanished from their website in latest iteration, they're focused more on open projects. 

6. Next review of glossentry content?
            Update from Dawn?
    - Kris; any thoughts on a ETA for that?
    - -Dawn; [had already dropped call, but left a comment about this in the chat];  I have to drop. For later in the agenda, I have been bad about writing the glossary examples. I will do that by end of week.

7. Scheduling reviews of base spec
            Past DITA 2.0 reviews: Base https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA2.0Reviews#preview
            (Open) work items from DITA 2.0 base reviews https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA2.0-review-work-items

- Kris; Robert, I'd like to have a spec editor call this week and develop a schedule, [straw] for working on these.
    ***ActionItem: Kris and Robert will do this. 
    - Kris; e.g. some items are just one topic. any volunteers to help with this?
    [Leroy, Stan, Christina volunteered]
    - Stan; can you have 2 teams, one your team, and one Robert's, or do you need to look at them together?
    - -Kris; Robert?
    - -Robert; don't know, we can talk about it this week.
    - Kris; we should consider whether we could split up and work separately. We're at the point where it's more important to get it out than to have it perfectly edited. a challenge is to turn as many as possible of the 'ready for review' columns from 'no' to 'yes' Are there problems and identify them with current ocntent?  For example, we did work on conditional processing, we felt strongly that we needed to improve it, branch filtering and ditaval ref; we have to review those 2 things together, also indirect addresssing, i.e. keys; we did a fairly thorough review/rewriting in 1.3, how much more do we need?

11:51 am ET close

------------------------------
    Nancy Harrison
    Principal, Infobridge Solutions
    Nancy Harrison (Personal)
    Portland OR
    978-505-9189
    ------------------------------

Attachment(s)

txt
    minutes20240430.txt   7 KB 1 version